If you weren’t aware, the annual advertising industry golf tournament, Golferoo, is this Friday, July 20. I had the chance to sit down with the event director, Cory Vandenberghe to discuss this year’s event…
1. Introduce yourself
Cory Vandenberghe, Director of Special Events for Ad Fed. This includes Bowl-o-Rama, Golferoo and Alphabet Bash (Aug. 9th) www.alphabetbash.com
2. How long have you been involved with Golferoo?
I’ve been on the planning committee for the past 5 years, and I’ve been the director of the event for the last 2 years.
3. What can we expect to see again? What’s new this year and who are the sponsors this year?
Returning favorite holes we can expect to see: Closest to the Gin, M/W Longest Drive, Longest Putt, $15k Hole In One, Bean the Barrister, closest to the pin and Happy Gilmore Drive.
Featured holes that are new year: Minnow Races, Root Beer Floats, and Closest to the Beer.
4. Where is this year’s event held?
1301 Theodore Wirth Parkway
Minneapolis, Minnesota 55422
Registration and lunch start at 11:30 a.m.. Scramble starts at 12:30 p.m.
5. How often do you golf? What’s your handicap?
I make it out on the links about twice a month. The only thing consistent about my game is my inconsistency.
6. Have you ever gotten a hole-in-one? Has there ever been a hole-in-one in Golferoo history?
Nope. Maybe 2012!
7. Tell me more about this year’s keg hole… volunteers can drink at it, right?
Volunteers can get a beer from the FRWD-sponsored Keg Hole.
8. What is cost of registration?
Walk-ups day of will be $115
9. What’s your favorite color?
10. How awesome is Golferoo going to be on Friday? (on a scale of 1 to Super Awesome)
If it were an amp at rock concert, it would be turned to 11!
11. I challenge you to a round of golf — winner gets to finish the keg. Okay, I guess that wasn’t a question, but are you in?
Unfortunately, the keg usually doesn’t survive the day. There is a direct correlation with the hotter the temp, the faster the beer disappears.
Friday promises to be a fun-filled day of drinks, debauchery and of course, golf. With temps expected in the mid-80s, it’s going to be the perfect summer Friday to head out for 18 holes. So grab a team, sign up now, and ditch the office — don’t worry about your work, that’s what interns are for.
- By: Grant Spanier, senior advertising student at the University of St. Thomas, Intern at Digitaria and Ad Fed Golferoo committee volunteer.